- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 800gm tinned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 150gm mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gravy, prepared as per packet instructions
- Pepper to taste
- 500gm pasta, cooked as per packet instructions
- 80gm butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup grated cheese,
- 1/2 cup grated cheese for topping
- 3 cups milk
- Paprika to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180’C and lightly grease a deep 25x35cm baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrot and capsicum for 2 minutes. Add mince and garlic and brown for 3 – 5 minutes breaking up lumps. Add mushrooms. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes. Stir in gravy and season with pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as per packet directions and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth. Return to heat and cook until mixture come to the boil and thickens. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in yolks and cheese.
- Combine sauce with pasta and top over meat mixture.
- Top with cheese and garnish with paprika.
- Bake in oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.